A. Visa Application

Q1. What types of visas are there?


*Visitor Visa: A short term visa with 5 durations of stay (14 days, 30 days, 60 days, 90 days, 180 days) that is suitable for applicants staying in Taiwan for less than 180 days.

*Resident Visa: A long-term visa suitable for applicants staying in Taiwan for more than 180 days. Those approved should report to the National Immigration Agency within 15 days of entering the country to apply for an Alien Resident Certificate. Those who wish to leave and enter the country within visa duration should also apply for the re-entry permit.

Q2. Do I need to exchange the visitor visa for the resident visa?


* Those who use the visitor visa to enter the country to enroll in courses for no more than 6 months do not need to apply for a resident visa. You can go to the National Immigration Agency with a valid visa to apply for a visa extension for up to a maximum of 180 days.

* Those holding a visitor visa and will be studying for more than 6 months should travel to the Bureau of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs before visa expiration to apply for a resident visa.

Q3. If I am a foreign student who used a resident visa for entry, do I need to apply for an Alien Resident Certificate?


* Yes. Go to the National Immigration Agency within 15 days of entry to apply for the Alien Resident Certificate.

Q4. How do I apply for the various visas, what is the process?


If you would like to apply for a visa from your country of residence, please consult the local Taiwanese bureau of affairs. 

If you are applying for a visa in Taiwan, seek the related department according to your needs.

Visitor visa (apply if staying for less than 180 days)

Central Taiwan Office, Ministry of Foreign Affairs


Address: No. 503, Section 2, Liming Rd, Taichung City, Taiwan(R.O.C)

Resident Visa (apply if staying for more than 180 days)


(Should apply for Alien Residence Certificate within 15 days of receiving visa)

National Immigration Agency


Address: 1F., No.91, Gancheng St., Nantun Dist., Taichung City

ROC (Taiwan) Resident Certificate


Visa Extension


ID No. Application

Bureau of Employment and Vocational Training


Address: 83, Yang-Ping N. Rd., Sec. 2, 9F

Work Visa (limited to students who have studied for more than 1 semester)



Q5. What do I do if I lose my visa?


If you lose your visa due to theft, robbery, or fraud, for your guarantees please go to the nearest Asia University police station or the local police department to file a report and obtain a proof of theft. Apply for a new document from the agency that issued the original document. If the visa is lost due to personal negligence, please go to the related agency to apply for a new visa. See question 4 for the related process.